ARE YOU PLANING TO BUY A CAR? READ THIS ARTICLE CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU PROCEED.
Getting a good car that you desire to buy is not without hassles or stress. Out of anxiousness of people to own a car; either brand new or imported fairly used, popular known as TOKUNBO in Nigeria, they end up buying bad car. I have seen so many people buy a TOKUNBO car and end up reselling at a loss after some months due to frequent breakdowns. One of the reasons this happens is because, so many people don’t bother to do a proper check before paying.
Yes you may not have serious issues if you are purchasing a brand new car because most brand new cars have warranty coverage. Some even enjoy warranty up to 5 years. This is not to say that brand new cars are without their own challenges. From my experience, working closely with auto shop floor, I have come to discover that some brand of cars have peculiar problems associated with them.
Asking questions and doing research will prevent you from falling victim of buying a bad car that will cost you a fortune to maintain.
SIX THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A CAR
1. Cost of Purchase: If you want to buy a car, you must first of all consider your budget? Consider if you have the financial capacity to pay for the type you want to drive.
2. What Are Your Needs in the Car You Want to Buy: you should know what you need like the brand of car, model year, type of transmission, engine capacity, the legroom etc.
3. Fuel Economy: Another thing to consider is the fuel consumption rate. Some vehicles consume fuel more than others. 6-cylinder engine usually consumes more fuel than 4-cylinder engine
4. Cost of Maintenance: Some vehicles are excessively expensive to maintain. Find out to know the cost of maintenance before going for it.
5. Availability of Spare Parts: some vehicles have been scrapped for lack of spare parts. Ensure to find out that spare parts are readily available and within reach.
6. Resale Value: if you have in mind to resell the car after some time of use, then you should consider the resale (second hand) value before settling down for the brand. While some brand of cars do not have good second hand value, others sell high as used car.
Having considered the points above, book appointment for inspection as well as to test drive the car.
FOUR THINGS TO CHECK IN A USED CAR (TOKUNBO) BEFORE BUYING
1. Check to see that the engine idles well. Also confirm that it revs well.
2. Check to see that the engine has not been previously repaired. To check this out, inspect the top cylinder sealant gum, you will find out if the gum is the one used during initial coupling by the manufacturer or not. Also, check the oil sump to find out if it has been tempered with. If you cannot do this yourself, you can log on to www.callyourmechanic.com and contact a mechanic to help you out.
3. Drive the vehicle to see that the gear selects well
4. Check for suspension noise. Drive the car on rough road, if there is one in your area, to find out if the suspension makes noise.